LAST NIGHT in Dublin saw The Irish Restaurant Awards take place at a packed Burlington Hotel with the creme of Irish restaurants, bars and chefs in the running for awards like Best Chef, Best Restaurant, Best Gastropub and more. The winners were circulated a few hours before the actual awards ceremony took place (kinda takes the element of surprise out of things on the night for those in attendance who were checking their email).
While they didn’t feature this year in the overall awards, congratulations on a local level must go to Campagne being named Best Restaurant in Leinster. Head chef Garrett Byrne was also in the running for Best Chef overall, an award that went to Grenan’s Castle’s Mickael Viljanen.
Will someone please remind me to make a reservation for dinner there!
The Big Winners
- Best Restaurant 2011 – Chapter One
- Best Chef 2011 – Mickael Viljanen (Gregan’s Castle)
- Best Customer Service 2011 – Gregan’s Castle
- Best Casual Dining 2011 – La Cucinia
- Best Hotel Restaurant 2011 – Gregan’s Castle
- Best Wine Experience 2011 – Jacques at Greenacres
- Best Gastro Pub 2011 – Harry’s Bar
- Local Food Hero 2011 – Jack McCarthy’s , McCarthy’s of Kanturk
There were over 6,000 nominations made from all over the country, feeding local, regional and overall awards.
- Best Seafood Experience 2011 – O’ Grady’s on the Pier, Barna, Co. Galway
- Best Ethnic Restaurant 2011 – Rasam, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
- Best Newcomer 2011 – The Fatted Calf, Glasson, Co. Westmeath
- Best Cocktail Experience 2011 – Saba, Dublin
- Best Restaurant Design 2011 – Ely Bar and Brasserie, Dublin
- Best Coffee Experience 2011– Fallon and Byrne, Exchequer St, Dublin
- Best Practice in Environmental 2011 – Radisson Hotel, Dublin Airport
- Best Restaurant Website 2011 – Seapoint, Monkstown, Dublin
- Best Club Restaurant 2011 – Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club, Dublin
- Best Supplier 2011 – Keeling’s
- Best Cookery School 2011 – The Tannery, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
- Best Innovation 2011 – O’ Brien Chop House, Lismore, Co. Waterford
- Best Food Producer 2011 – Silverhill Foods
- Most Informative Menu 2011 – Bodega, Co. Waterford