National Vegetarian Week, sponsored by Dee’s, is underway from today through Sunday. This is the second year of the I’m no vegetarian, far from it. The weekend celebrations have been fuelled by seafood dishes, fine steaks and lots of ham or roast beef sandwiches on the cycle; my dinners at home (for myself) usually contain some kind of meat element; my pizza toppings always contain some kind of meat element and, breakfast, lunch or dinner, there’s usually some kind of meat involved.
Meanwhile, Mrs. Any Given Food-to-be is vegetarian. While I have no plans to turn vegetarian, I’ve planned on cooking just vegetarian dishes for the week, this week. It will give me a chance to pick out a couple of recipes from the ever-increasing number of cookbooks on the shelves.
Plus, after the sheer amount of meat consumed over the weekend (and subsequent lack of vegetables), it might give me a chance to detox the body a bit over the course of the week.
How Do You Get Involved?
- Send us photos of your best vegetarian dish
- Organise an event to celebrate vegetarian food
- Go for a healthy walk with friends and have a veggie lunch afterwards
- Get friends around and have a Pot Luck dinner
- Cook one of our recipes and let us know which one is your favourite
- Send us your favourite recipe and a picture
- Get creative – veggie smoothies, Summer Salads and send us pictures
- Email nationalvegetarianweek2013 (at) gmail.com with all and any updates, details of events and photos. We want YOU to get involved!
There’s a limited number of offers from restaurants in Limerick and Cork, a whole host of recipes available to try, daily video blog updates and more available over at NationalVegetarianWeek.ie. You can also take the Veggie Challenge for the week.
As the fella says, I’ll keep you posted…