516 calories /
429 fat per portion
- 4 fresh eggs
- 4 slices hot buttered toast
- 8 rashers bacon, grilled
- 4 tbsp Hollandaise sauce (recipe below)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 110g (4oz) Kerrygold butter, now softer, cut in to roughly 1cm (½ inch) dice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Method – Hollandaise sauce
- First make the hollandaise sauce. Place the egg yolks in a heavy bottomed saucepan on a low heat and whisk thoroughly
- Add the butter bit by bit whisking all the time. As soon as one piece melts add the next. Do not leave the pan or stop whisking
- Keep cooking very gently until the sauce has thickened, enough to coat the back of a spoon. If there are any signs of the eggs slightly scrambling, remove from the heat immediately. The whole process should take 5-7 minutes from start to finish.
- Finally add the lemon juice to taste. Keep warm as you poach the eggs.
Method – Poached eggs
- Place a saucepan of water on a high heat, add a splash of vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, gently crack in the eggs and cook for 3–4 minutes or until the whites have just set.
- Carefully remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, place two pieces of bacon on the hot buttered toast, then place 1 egg on top. Spoon over the sauce and sprinkle with chives.
And that, as they say, is that. If you do try it out, give me a shout and let me know what you think of the recipe – will be doing similar myself for breakfast this weekend.
For more recipes from Rachel download the Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book